American spare ribs are commonly used in Chinese cooking. This sweet and sour spareribs are my daughter's favorite too. This dish needs no oil but 5 ingredients, cooking wine, soya sauce, white sugar, Zhen Jiang vinegar and water. The quantity of them are just counting from number 1 to 5. Easy to remember! In Chinese, we have another name for it, "Number Spareribs". Isn't it funny? Above all, it's absolutely healthy and tasty too!
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 tablespoons Zhen Jiang vinegar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 600 gm spare ribs
- Cut spare ribs into pieces and put them into boiling water for a few minutes to rinse away any blood.
- Add spare ribs into the above ingredients and bring to boil. Turn down to slow heat. Cook for about 1 hour until less sauce and spare ribs turn dark brown. Serve hot.