- 350 gm skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 100 gm button mushrooms, halved if large
- 20 gm butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 celery, chopped
- 8-10 green beans, diced
- 1/3 carrot, diced
- 3/4 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 25 gm plain flour
- 100 ml pure cream
- 2 Tbsp parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- a pinch of pepper
- Rinse chicken and drain well, chop into chunks. Marinate for 15 minutes. Heat oil in frying-pan, cook chicken for 5 minutes, until lightly brown. Set aside.
- Melt butter on medium. Sauté onion, celery, carrot and green beans until soften. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, to make a paste. Gradually stir in stock and cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir through mushrooms and chicken. Season, stir in parsley.
- Preheat oven to 200C (392F). Roll out pastry on a floured surface. Place a 4 cup-capacity pie dish upside down on pastry. Cut around dish. Cut out leaves from excess pastry to decorate and damp with a bit of water to place onto the pastry. Cut a 1cm slit in center of lid.
- Spoon chicken mixture into pie dish. Top with pastry and crimp edges to seal. Whisk together egg and milk. Brush over pastry. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot.