Tofu Fa is a popular Chinese treat, made from soybean. Many people like eating, yet hesitate to make it by themselves as there are many steps to take: soaking, blending the beans (not too difficult) and squeezing out the liquid (quite tricky). If any scums are not filtered out clearly, you can’t enjoy a smooth tofu fa.
Here’s a simple and quick way to make smooth and yummy tofu fa with a high success rate.
All you need is to prepare the following ingredients:
- 2 liters unsweetened soya milk
- 2 teaspoons gypsum powder (available at Chinese/Asian grocery stores)
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 100cc water
- Rock sugar (to your taste)
- Dark brown sugar (optional)
- Ginger (optional)
- Bring unsweetened soya milk to a boil. Be cautious as soya milk will easily overflow when it boils.
- Put gypsum powder and potato starch into 100cc water. Stir thoroughly. Put them in a large bowl.
- When the soya milk boils, foaming rapidly, pour into the gypsum powder and potato starch water, about 1 foot above. This action will make all the ingredients mix together automatically and nicely. Don’t move it or stir the mixture after pouring in the boiling soya milk. Cover it with a cloth to absorb steam as the picture shows. Let it stay for 40-45 minutes. The soya milk will settle to be smooth and yummy tofu fa.
- Heat a sauce pan to melt some rock sugar to your taste. You can also add 2-3 pieces of ginger if you like (a traditional way to prepare syrup for tofu fa).
- When the tofu fa is done, add syrup and/or dark brown sugar and serve.. Enjoy !
- Before pouring in the boiling soya milk, make sure the gypsum powder and potato powder won’t sit at the bottom. Mix thoroughly!
- When soya milk boils, it will easily overflow. Be cautious. It’s better not to cover it when it’s going to a boil.
- After pouring in the boiling soya milk, don’t touch or stir it. Cover it with a cloth that would absorb the steam and make the surface of tofu fa look better.