As Chinese New Year is coming around the corner, my daughter begins to ask me what I’m going to cook to celebrate. The first thing came up in my mind was this baked Coconut Pudding. My dear friend, Vivian who came from Malaysia baked one to share with us some time ago. I was impressed because it was so delicious. Vivian told us that her family would bake this coconut pudding to celebrate Chinese New Year in Malaysia. During Chinese New Year, Chinese people would make all kinds of cakes or puddings for friends. I have tried a steamed coconut cake that is very popular in Hong Kong. Honestly speaking, I like this baked one most. So I plan to bake one in the coming New Year season. The delicious taste, fragrant smell and chewy texture will make it a hit with everybody in my family for sure.
- 10 eggs
- 500 gm glutinous flour
- 2 cans coconut milk (about 500 ml each)
- 500 gm white sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Beat the eggs and mix with sugar very well.
- Add coconut milk and glutinous flour, and combine until very smooth.
- Use a 24cm x30 cm baking tray, or two smaller trays. Don’t use any trays that are too deep, it’s hard to cook through otherwise. Line a baking sheet at the bottom of the baking tray. Lightly brush or spray oil around the edges.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray, bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Test it with a needle. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
(My daughter likes eating coconut pudding with some fresh cream.)
- You can adjust the sweetness according to your preference. I used 400 grams of sugar. I think it’s best suit my family.
- This recipe makes a quite-big-coconut-pudding. Use half of all ingredients can feed a family of four.
The full recipe above will make a very big coconut pudding. Normally, I used half of all ingredients that would make a pudding big enough for a family of four to six. In response to a reader's questions, I'd like to add the revised version for people who are interested in baking this dessert for thanksgiving.
Here I came up with a revised version of the tasty coconut pudding with my friend recently, baked in a 30x25x3.5cm tray, lined with baking paper:
- 5 eggs (medium to large size)
- 300g glutinous rice flour
- 300g sugar (raw sugar is better)
- 1 can (400ml) coconut cream
- 1/4 can (100ml) milk
- a few drops of vanilla essence