- 250gm dark chocolate
- 5 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 120gm caster sugar
- 150gm unsalted butter
- 50gm ground almond (almond meal), optional
- Icing sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 170C (335F). Melt chocolate, butter and sugar in a bowl over a pot of hot water at low-medium heat. After melting all ingredients, remove from heat, stir thoroughly to combine.
- Mix in ground almonds. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. (Note: Make sure the mixture is not too hot, as you don't want the egg yolks cooked at this stage.)
- Beat egg whites with slow-speed electric mixer for 2 minutes. Then turn to high speed and beat until the egg whites become very stiff and peaked.
- Fold in a few spoons of egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Gently fold in the rest with small amount at a time for 3 times just until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not beat.
- Turn the mixture into a greased and floured 20cm round bakery tin. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Insert a needle to test the cake. If the needle comes out clean, it’s cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
- This cake is very moist, with rich chocolate flavour.