There are various types of red beans. Keep in mind that the Azuki beans are commonly used in Chinese dessert, not the (Red type) ricebeans which are the correct ones for traditional Chinese medicine.
- 1 cup red beans (about 227 gm)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- Bring 3 cups of water into a boil. Add red beans, covered. Lower heat to medium-low and cook until red beans soften. Check the water level and replenish, if necessary, with boiling water. There should not be too much water left when the red beans are cooked and become tender (see picture shown).
- While cooking red beans, combine rice flour, wheat flour, corn flour, sugar and oil with 1 cup of water. Pour into the cooked red beans.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat. Stir constantly.
- Transfer mixture into a greased tray, 8-inch round. Steam over high heat with lid on for 1 hour. Test with a chopstick or toothpick. If it comes out clean, the red bean cake is cooked through. Cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours, or until set Cut into pieces to serve.
- Use thick-based saucepan or non-stick pot to cook the batter. Otherwise the batter would stick to the bottom of your saucepan.