When summer comes, salad is a very popular dish on our table. This shrimp and avocado salad is our family’s favourite one. In last summer, I added one more healthy and terrific fruit in it. Guess what? It’s dragon fruit, a very delicious and nutritious fruit. There are two varieties of dragon fruit, one with bright red flesh and the other white, both have tiny black seeds. I bought the white one this time, adding my salad a striking colour.
- 150 gm medium shrimps (prawns), cooked, peeled, and deveined
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ripe avocado
- 120 gm lettuce (butter lettuce or red leaf lettuce)
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 1/2 dragon fruit
- Combine olive oil, lime juice and minced garlic in a bowl. If the shrimps are too big, chop them into halves. Toss in shrimps and coat with oil mixture well.
- Rinse lettuce and drain well. Arrange leaves of lettuce at the bottom of a large serving bowl or platter. Cut dragon fruit in half (see picture shown above). Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut cubes. Spoon out the cubes. The middle ones might be too long, cut into half then. Set aside.
- Use similar method to cut avocado in half. I normally don’t use sharp knife to remove the stone of avocado. Instead, I just use a small spoon to run around the stone, and then safely and easily spoon out the avocado stone. Cut avocado into dices, spoon out.
- Place half of the avocado cubes on lettuce. Add marinated shrimps, then followed by the other half of avocado. Toss in dragon fruit. Done.
- You can adjust the amount of lime juice to your taste.