Whenever my mother had to work late, my father would fry rice for us. It’s very delicious. I took it as a treat as my mother normally did the cooking for the family.
Here I'd like to share a few tricks on how to fry yummy rice that I learned from my father. If you have more tips on frying rice, feel free to leave in the comments.
Firstly, when it comes to fry rice, we have to use leftover rice because you don’t want any soggy rice. Mixing with all the other vegetables and meat, the rice would be just right, not so dry or soggy.
Secondly, use as many favorite ingredients as you like. There’s no only one rule to combine ingredients for fried rice. So, be creative and enjoy whatever you like.
Thirdly, the right order is to pan fry eggs, then followed by rice. Many people make the mistake to put in rice first, then pour in whisked eggs. This would make the rice soggy and mushy by absorbing the egg mixture.
Last but not least, don’t stir fry all ingredients with rice in the first place. You have to sauté the meat and vegetables separately. Then combine with the fried rice when it’s nearly done. Simple and easy~
- 3 bowls leftover rice
- 1 onion
- 1 sausage (I used Continental Frankfurt this time)
- 1 slice ham
- 6 mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- A pinch of black pepper, to your taste
- salt, to your taste
- sugar, to your taste
- Blanch green peas in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cut onion, sausage and ham into small cubes. Slice mushrooms.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and sauté onion on medium-heat pan, add in mushrooms until tender. Put in green peas and sauté for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat pan on medium heat, sauté sausage and ham until light brown. Dish up.
- Clean the pan with a piece of kitchen towel. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, pour in whisked eggs. When the egg mixture is half-way cooked through, add in leftover rice. Stir well for about 10 minutes on high heat. When all rice is evenly heated up and mixed well with the eggs, add in onion, green peas and mix well. At last, add the sausage and ham. While stirring all ingredients together, generously sprinkle salt, sugar and black pepper. Drizzle the soy sauce all around the rice and toss. Taste it by yourself. When you’re satisfied, it’s done.
- You can use whatever greens you like, for example capsicum, celery. Other meat, like chicken, shrimp, beef or BBQ pork can be good choice too.
- If you preheat the chilled leftover rice in a microwave beforehand, it would shorten the cooking time. Save your energy~
Enjoy your yummy fried rice !
You might like this recipe as well:
Salmon Fried Rice (Quick Lunch)