- 3 stalks celery, about 150 gm
- 190 gm shrimp (prawn, fresh or frozen), medium size
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 Tbsp unsalted chicken broth
- 20 roasted cashews, unsalted
- 2 tsp egg white, lightly beaten
- Salt and white pepper, to taste (for marinating shrimp)
- salt and cornflour (for rinsing shrimp)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp corn flour
- 1 Tbsp water
- white pepper, to taste
- a dash of sesame oil
- Defrost the shrimp if frozen and peel the shell. Devein the shrimp. Mix shrimp with a bit of salt and cornflour, and leave for a few minutes. Rinse thoroughly with cold running water. Drain well and Pat dry the shrimp with paper towels. Marinate the shrimp with a bit of salt, white pepper, egg white and corn flour for 20 minutes.
- Rinse celery and cut into strips. Set aside.
- Add cooking oil to wok, sauté shrimp on medium heat until 80% cooked. Dish up and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to sauté minced garlic. When you smell the aroma of the garlic, add celery. Sprinkle with wine and a pinch of salt. Quickly stir well. Add chicken stock to cook for a while, uncovered. Toss shrimps back to wok and cook, add thickening. When sauce begins to dry up, add roasted cashews. Dish up and serve on a platter. Enjoy!
You can get ready-made roasted cashews at supermarkets or do it by yourself. Bake raw cashews for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown in a preheated oven at 180C.