- 400 gm minced beef
- 2 to 3 potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 85 gm green peas
- 90 gm corn kernels (fresh or canned)
- a knob butter (to preference)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp water
- black pepper, to taste
- Mix beef with marinade and leave for 15 to 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 200C (392F).
- Peel potatoes and cut into dices. Cook in salted boiling water for 20 minutes, or until soft. Drain well, covered (Let potato absorb more moist. Mash later.)
- Blanch green peas and corn kernels. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Sauté onion for 2 minutes. Add garlic and stir fry until aromatic. Then add beef and quickly stir fry until colour changed. When cooking beef, use a fork to separate meat and not let them stick together. Add green peas and corn kernels and combine well.
- Use an ovenproof baking bowl. Heat and melt a knob of butter over medium heat. Transfer beef and mixed vegetables into baking bowl.
- Making mashed potato: Use a potato masher to mash until smooth. Add milk and butter. Use a spoon to stir until combined thoroughly. Taste and season with salt and pepper (Refer to detailed steps and photos of making mashed potato here).
- Spoon mashed potato on top of beef and vegetables and level evenly. Use a fork to draw patterns if you like. Scatter some more butter cubes on the surface of mashed potato. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until mashed potato is golden brown. Serve hot!
- As all the ingredients are cooked through before baking, it won’t take too long to get it done. The pie would be too dry otherwise. To shorten cooking time, you can grill this pie until potato turns golden brown.
- Remember to open the oven door a few inches when grilling. Don’t leave it unattended.