Coco-Cola (Coke) is always served on our dinner table, side by side with one of my loved one’s main course nearly everyday. I don’t quite understand why it’s so addictive. Some people can’t live without it. It’s not overstated if you know someone who is really addicted to coke. Not many people know what’s in coke and how it’s made. The flavour base for Coke is still one of the world's great trade secrets. That said, there’re only three people in the world know the formula of creating the unique flavour of it. Well, the cooking ingredients and method of this dish, Coco-Cola Chicken Wings has no secrets at all. That’s simple and easy to cook. You can’t taste any flavour of coke after cooking anyway. The chicken wings are tasty sweet, succulent, with rich soy sauce flavour though. The coke can tenderize the meat of chicken wings and add more flavours. Thus, I didn’t need to cover the chicken wings when cooking. The bones would easily come off otherwise. It’s not a pleasant looking if so.
Coco-cola Chicken Wings (Printable recipe)
- 700 gm chicken wings
- 1/2 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 stalk spring onion, sectioned
- 5 slices ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup Coco-cola
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine
- Pepper, to taste
- Cut chicken wings into two parts, keep the wing tips intact. Blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes to remove any blood and fat. Drain well.
- Heat some oil in wok (or pan), saute ginger, garlic and spring onion until fragrant.
- Add chicken wings and carrot, saute and continue to cook until lightly brown. Pour in the seasoning and coke. Bring to a boil and continue to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, uncovered, or until sauce thickens and chicken wings are carmeralized. Add more water if necessary. Remember to taste by yourself while cooking in this step. If you’re satisfied, it’s done.