Honestly, I love Mexican foods, but have ever tried to make tacos at home. I’m a big fan of beans, was glad that I happened to find canned Mexican Chilli beans, mainly used red kidney beans at Coles for sale yesterday. Something like this came up in my mind, “It’s not wrong to use canned food if they are of good quality or at good bargain.” So, I went for a short cut, saving much time to cook the beans, and finally made these Chilli Beef and Beans Tacos for a light lunch on last weekend.
Chilli Beef and Beans Tacos (Printable recipe)
- 500 gm organic beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (420 gm) Mexican chilli beans (red kidney beans), drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt, to taste
- freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 15 gm butter
- 12 Taco shells
Ingredients for serving:
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Cheddar cheese (or Parmesan), to taste
- sour cream, to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne paprika
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- Mix beef with the marinade and the beaten egg well. Leave for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and melt butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until aromatic. Add beef and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until almost done. Stir in beans and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C (356F).
- Place taco shells in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove taco shells from oven.
- Use a teaspoon to arrange the fillings of chilli beans and beef in each shell. Fill as much of lettuce, capsicum, grated cheese and sour cream as desired.