When I saw Fiona demonstrating to cook her invention recipe of Chocolate Ganache, Lavender Cream and Raspberry Tart on MasterChef, I said to myself that, I had to make this beautiful tart. Unfortunately, the unsprayed lavender was hard to find. Yet, big and beautiful strawberries were everywhere. So, I adapted Fiona’s recipe to make the tart shells and chocolate ganache, topped with jelly-coated sweet strawberries. It turned out to be a big hit in our family’s dinner last weekend.
Chocolate Ganache and Strawberry Tarts (Adapted from MasterChef) (Printable recipe)
Makes 4x10cm tarts (preferably use loose-bottomed tart tins)
Ingredients of tart shells:
- 100 gm plain flour
- 85 gm butter, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 tsp cold water
- 145 gm dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 125 ml cream
- 35 gm butter
- 5 tbsp caster sugar, or to taste
- 8 to 12 strawberries, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp strawberry jelly (or jam)
- water to dissolve jelly
- Place the flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor and blend until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add 1-2 teaspoons cold water and blend again until the dough just comes together. Tip out onto a lightly floured board or clean bench and form dough into a disc, enclose in cling film and refrigerate for 15 to 25 minutes.
- Roll pastry out to 3-5mm thick, then use to line four 10cm loose-bottomed tart tins. Prick the base with a fork, then place back in the fridge to rest for about 15 minutes.
- To make the ganache: place the cream and butter in a heatproof bowl over simmering warm water, heat until butter has melted. Add chocolate and sugar into the mixture, then stir until the chocolate has melted. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the pastry case with baking paper and pastry beads or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 8-10 minutes, then remove baking paper and beads and bake for another 5-10 minutes until golden. Press down any bubbles that have risen up and allow to cool. Remove from tart tins and place on a serving plate.
- Heat jelly with water until completely dissolved.
- Transfer the chocolate ganache into the tart shells. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon or palette knife. Arrange the strawberry slices on top and brush with jelly on top of the strawberries. Serve immediately.