Japanese Green Tea Bread with Red Bean Fillings (Printable recipe)
- 350 gm bread flour (2 1/2 C)
- 55 gm caster sugar (3Tbsp + 2tsp)
- 5 gm salt (1tsp)
- 56 gm egg (1 large egg)
- 7 gm milk powder (1Tbsp + 1tsp to increase fragrance, optional)
- 125 ml milk (1/2C)
- 120 gm tangzhong (refer to this recipe for making tangzhong)
- 5 to 6 gm instant yeast (2tsp)
- 30 gm butter (cut into small pieces, softened at room temperature)
- 2 tsp green tea powder
- 240 gm sweetened red bean paste (homemade or canned)
- Please refer to this Hong Kong Style Sausage Rolls recipe (step 1 to 3, adding the green tea powder into the bread maker along with the dry ingredients) for making dough with tangzhong. After completing the 1st round of proofing, double in size, transfer dough to a clean floured surface.
- Deflate and divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Knead into ball shapes. Cover with cling wrap, let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the red bean paste into 12 equal parts. Knead each part into small balls.
- Roll out each small dough ball with a rolling pin and flatten into a disc. Place a small red bean ball in the middle. Enclose and knead into a ball shape with the seal facing down. Repeat this step of rolling and wrapping fillings with the rest of your dough. Place onto a baking tray, lined with baking paper, covered with cling wrap and a wet towel. Leave for the 2nd round of proofing, about 45 to 60 minutes, until double in size.
- Bake in a pre-heated 160C (320F) oven for 35 minutes, or until brown. Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
(Some red beans retained as whole in the paste in order to add more textures)
Other recipes of Green Tea Bread:
- Green Tea Croissants from Thip's Bonbini
- Green Tea Buns with Green Tea Crusted Topping from Little Corner of Mine
Other tangzhong bread recipes:
- Japanese Style Bacon and Cheese Bread (with detailed steps of making tangzhong)
- Japanese Style Coconut Custard Buns
- Hong Kong Style Sausage Rolls
- Apple Custard Buns
- Nutella Cream Horns
- Hokkaido Milk Toast (Japanese style)
- Pai Bao (排包 Hong Kong Sweet Buns)
- Braided Raisin Walnut Bread (Tangzhong Method)
- Pineapple Buns (For Pig Pig’s Corner)
- Hot Cross Buns (Tangzhong Method)
- Tangzhong Wholemeal Loaf