Egg Custard Pastries (Printable recipe)
- 6 pieces Pampas’s filo pastry, at room temperature
- 100ml whipping cream
- 75ml milk, room temperature
- 40gm caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tsp cake flour, available at supermarkets or Asian grocery stores
- Prepare the filling: Use a sauce pan. Mix cream with milk, add sugar. Heat over low heat and cook until the sugar dissolves. Let cool completely. Stir in the egg yolks and flour. Combine thoroughly. Drain through a fine sieve. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C (395F).
- Carefully fold one end of the filo pastry to match the opposite end. Repeat and fold once more. Then you’ll get a 4-stack pastries as picture shown. Use a pair of scissors to cut along the folded lines. Then cut each stack into 4 equal squares. You should have 16 stacks of little square pastries.
- Line a muffin tray with the square pastries. My muffin tray only can bake 12, so I have to place more pastries for some tarts and use up all the pastries.
- Evenly pour the filling into the pastry shells. Carefully transfer into the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry turns brown. Don’t leave them unattended while baking. If the egg custard puffs up, open the oven door a few inches. By doing this, the egg custard would not shrink too much once the pastry cools down. It’s normal that the filling shrinks a bit though.
Note: You might use the leftover egg whites to make some Almond Meringue.
You might like other egg tart recipe: