Steamed Tofu with Minced Prawn (Printable recipe)
- 200gm prawn/shrimp meat
- 1 to 2 packets silky tofu
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp egg white
- white pepper, to taste
- light soy sauce, to drizzle
- 2 tbsp hot cooking oil
- Peel and devein the prawns. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry with kitchen paper (as picture shown). In a food processor, put the prawn and marinade to process into a thick paste. If you want springy texture, transfer it into a mixing bowl, stirring with chop sticks towards one direction, either clockwise or anti-clockwise, until you feel it's really hard to stir further. Wet your hand with a bit of water, then pick up the prawn paste and throw against the bottom of mixing bowl many many times until the paste attains that springy texture.
- Following the instructions of the package, remove the silky tofu from the packing. Cut the tofu into about 1.5 to 2cm thick pieces. Carefully place the tofu on a plate. Absorb excess water with kitchen paper. Lightly sprinkle cornflour on the surface of the tofu. Spoon prawn paste and arrange on the tofu.
- Steam in a wok/steamer over high heat for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the prawn paste is cooked through, changed into red in colour. Discard any excess water in the plate. Drizzle with seasonings. Serve hot.