Green Beans with Sesame Dressing (Printable recipe)
- 300 gm green beans
- 35 gm toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 100 ml Yamasa soy sauce (or any kind of Japanese you like)
- 2 tsp mirin
- salt, to taste
- Rinse green beans and drain well. Trim both ends. Blanch in salted boiling water for 3 minutes. The beans should be cooked and still crunchy. Drain and immediately rinse in cold water. Pat dry.
- To make the sesame dressing: Place the sesame seeds into a mortar (or use a food processor to process briefly, and make sure not to overprocess.) Grind the seeds until almost a paste, then add the sugar, mirin, and soy sauce. Mix well. Season with salt if needed.
- Put green beans in a large bowl. Mix the sesame dressing with the green beans. Arrange in a serving bowl or a serving plate. Sprinkle more toasted sesame seeds if desired.
- I used Yamasa soy sauce, that is naturally brewed and not too salty.
- It's better to toast sesame seeds before grinding. I often dry fry them in a pan. When you smell the aroma, it’s done. Beware not to burn them.