Both coconut milk and chicken are my family’s favourite foods. Cooking both of them together will definitely win everybody. This Portuguese coconut chicken looks like curry, but it’s not hot at all. This time I’ve deliberately added many different vegetables that cooked in coconut sauce, topped with creamy baked cheese. Who can resist the chicken inside? Ha…
- 400g chicken thigh fillet (or chicken breast)
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 green beans
- 1/4 capsicum
- 1 cup cheese
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 bowls fried rice (or white rice)
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger sauce
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- Rinse chicken meat and pat dry with paper towels. Trim fat and cut into bite-size. Marinate for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 200C (390F).
- Heat oil on saucepan and sauté minced garlic. Toss in onion and sauté until translucent. Add marinated chicken and cook over medium heat, until lightly brown. Add potatoes and carrots, stir until evenly heat all ingredients. Sprinkle turmeric powder and cumin powder. Stir fry until aromatic. Pour chicken stock and bring to a boil. Slow heat to medium-low and cook until the potatoes turn soft. Add green beans and capsicum and cook for a while. Add coconut milk and bring to boil again. Add thickening and cook to your preferred consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Taste by yourself until you’re satisfied.
- While cooking the sauce, heat up another wok (or frying-pan). Add whisked egg to fry rice. Head over and take a look at how to fry yummy rice. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Transfer fried rice (or hot white rice) to a ceramic baking dish. Pour coconut sauce over the rice. Sprinkle cheese to your preference. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese turns golden. Done. Serve hot.
- Use the left-over rice to fry is the key to have yummy fried rice.
- If you use white rice, it should be a bit drier than usual because it will absorb the coconut sauce while baking.