In many parties I joined, I found salad was very popular and a favourite dish to most people. This smoked salmon is one of my favourites, either enjoying in social gatherings or making for a light family meal. The smoked salmon used in this side dish was bought from supermarket, very handy, huh.
What would happen when the east meets the west? It might come up with some dishes like this one. This time I experimented using Chinese way of marinating chicken instead of just sprinkling a pinch of salt and pepper. The oriental taste of chicken was mingled with Aussie salad greens, subtly adding an Asian kick. The crisp baby spinach was a big hit in my family unexpectedly. My hubby kept asking whether I left some more in the kitchen.
Smoked Salmon Salad (Printable recipe)
- 100 gm smoked salmon
- 150 gm chicken breast
- 150 gm baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, crushed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, place eggs and cold water. The water should cover the egg shells with at least half inch over tops of egg shells. Cover and cook on medium heat. Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes (if you like soft-cooked eggs with runny yolk), or simmer for 8 minutes (if you like hard-boiled eggs). Use a slotted spoon to transfer the boiled eggs into a large bowl of cold water. Let cool. (Note: It’d be easier to remove the shells later after cooling down in this way.)
- Julienne chicken and mix with marinade for 20 minutes. Heat oil in a pan, stir-fry until cooked through. Set aside.
- Rinse baby spinach and wipe dry. Mix in olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Taste by yourself and adjust to your liking. Divide on two platters.
- Remove egg shells and cut into wedges. Place them on baby spinach. Arrange smoked salmon and chicken on top. Enjoy.
- Adding small amount of crushed garlic and lemon zest makes a big difference in taste of salad.
- You might like to adjust the amount of vinegar to your personal preference.
- Choose other salad greens if you like.
- If you prepare this salad for a party, please increase the amount according to your need.