Whenever we have fish on our dinner table, I’d feel it’s a very satisfying and rich supper, no matter what kind of fish we have. This dish is a super easy and quick one, yet delicious enough. Sanma is commonly used in Japanese cuisine. To make this dish, all you need is an oven/grill. I used my toaster oven that is pretty quick to grill a small amount of meat. If you don’t have an oven at home, you can pan fry it oven medium-high heat. Both of the fish skin and bones are very crispy. You can eat the whole fish literally, given that you’re skillful and experienced in eating small fish with bones.
Grilled Sanma (Printable recipe)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Yield: 2 to 3 serves
|The S&B assorted chili pepper contains 7 flavours: |
chili pepper, orange peel, black sesame seed, white sesame seed, Japanese pepper, ginger, seaweed.
- 300 gm sanma (サンマ / 秋刀魚)
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly grated black pepper, to taste
- S&B assorted chili pepper, to taste
- Gut the sanma and clean well. Rinse, then wipe dry with kitchen papers. Generously sprinkle and rub with sea salt and pepper on both sides and inside. Season with assorted chili pepper.
- Preheat a toaster oven at 160C/320F. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil or baking paper, greased with a bit of oil.
- Place the fish on the lined baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through and the fish skin becomes lightly brown. Serve immediately. Sprinkle more assorted chili pepper if you like. The fish goes very well with soy sauce, or Worcestershire sauce. Enjoy!
- You can grill the fish in a conventional oven at 200C/395F.
- Or fry the fish in a frying pan.
- Needless to add too much oil, as the fish would release oil while baking/grilling.